[lit-ideas] Re: What tizzy philosophy? Joerg writes....

  • From: joerg benesch <jgruel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:37:31 +0100

Steve Chilson schrieb:
joerg schrieb:
Snipping his cigarillo away, in silence
joerg
from Suebia

warum?
meant to invoke the iconic face of Clint Eastwood lighting his "hamlet", if that's the word, with a match struck on Klaus Kinski's hunchback, o si tacuisset. Saw Kinski once, back in the 60ties, performing Prince Hamlet's dialogue; madness as method.
everytime I read your signoff, "suebia" I'm thinking of Patrick Leigh
Fermor.  I dunno why, chalk it to senility, but it resonates and makes
me curious.
Suebia is actually Suabia, or "Schwaben", which is, I say it aloud, not at all a place anyone might want to be curious about. Spelled it that way as an homage to King Ariovistus, whom Caesar sadammed in his commentaries as some kind of (ancient terrorist) Brennus redivivus, in order to urge the Senate - who had granted Ariovist the title of "Amicus Populi Romani" - to support his illegal war in Gaul. As for resonations, when I, after many an ouzaki at Petros', start stammering something I, in that state of mind, take for quotes from the Iliad, the Greeks only laugh about that "funny German dialect"...
en nooit heeft je mal spinvis geluistert?
Nee hev ick noch nich, avers nu hev ick man all guugelt unn kann't nachhalen; scheun'n dank ook.
Please, all of you: tell me your thoughts about:

1.  Monsieur Stamm and the unloaded pistol
last time I saw Stamm he was galloping up the mountainside from the village upon his horse. Yet if any one desires to learn what became of Zodomirsky, let him inquire for Brother Vassili, at the Monastery of Troitza. And let me add that their heartbreaking story is a sad but satisfying explanation why guns are verboten in civilised countries.
2.  Henry James
Leave that one for the "English Lit" fellows out there (He did write English, did he not?)
3.  sex with Havel's mistresses.
there are no secrets when the secret service is around - at least no real secrets.
(not necessarily in that order)

PS- cigarillos here are called "Hamlets" and do you snip them away or
burn them away?
actually, I don't smoke. ("To burn away hamlets", isn't that what the military is supposed to be occupied with?)

Joerg,
from Suebia

p. s.: a secret that's not a real secret is a secret that everybody knows, but keeps silence about.