[lit-ideas] Watch for this!

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 00:13:16 +0200

I have just returned from seeing a most remarkable film (hence these
remarks):

Rhythm is It!

Directors: Thomas Grube and Enrique Sanchez Lansch
A BOOMTOWNMEDIA production in co-production with CINE PLUS
Germany, 2004

"230 people come on stage together to enact this ritual to ensure the
future."
[Royston Maldom in a voice-over in the trailer]

The choreographer Royston Maldom and his assistants take over 200
children and teenagers (aged 6 to 19) from all social classes and
cultural backgrounds (and, as Simon Rattle remarks, "all three
genders") in Berlin and create with Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic
together with the Tanzwerkstatt No Limit e.V. and
Faster-Than-Light-Dance-Company what is arguably the most astonishing
performance of Stravinsky's _Sacre de Printemps_ [Rite of Spring] since
its inception in 1913.

This film presents (among many other worthwhile things) one of the
strongest (and at times subtlest) arguments for the value of art -
particularly music and dance -  that I (in life-long association with
artists, dancers and musicians both professional and amateur) have come
across.

It also contains both moving and insightful segments featuring Rattle
rehearsing with the Berlin Philharmonic, and (to pick out just one of
many superb moments) a short dance sequence featuring a very young boy
which rivals anything I have seen live (and that ranges from Margot
Fonteyn to SANKI JUKU; from some of the world's great dance companies
to local amateur folk-dance performers) and on film, videotape or DVD.

There is a web-site (in German) at www.rhythmisit.com which includes a
trailer (in both the languages of the film - German & English).

The film will be opening the International Canberra Film Festival on
October 28th (2004), so I imagine an English-language version will not
be long in coming.

Watch for it!

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany