[lit-ideas] Re: War, sort of

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:29:37 -0400

Except we're not talking about all kinds of people.  We're talking about
why war.  I forget the actual statistic, but there's been something like
two wars every year since records have been kept.  The more advance we get,
the more advanced our killing machines get.  Are we, Kimo Sabe, that
stupid?  How do you explain it?

IMHO, unconscious motivation is especially active
> in psychoanalytic types since, after all, their own personal
> dysfunctions led them to pursue psychoanalytic thought.

And this has what to do with why humanity needs war and other violence?

> Was chatting with some MDs the other day. Apparently medical doctors
> have a mild disdain for psychiatrists. Seems the general consensus
> is that psychiatrists are failed doctors.
>
> It goes like this. Psychiatrists hated their patients in med school.
> They have already invested years in their medical training but can't
> stand dealing with their patients. This clinical deficit is obvious
> to everyone. Usually their adviser goes to them senior year and
> recommends psychiatry.

Or MDs are failed psychiatrists, depending on how one looks at it.  It
would be a hard sell for me to believe that MDs like their patients any
better than psychiatrists do.