[lit-ideas] WTC -- a small review

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:34:10 -0400

Warning -- spoilers ahead.

We went to see this movie tonight. I've always been a big fan of Oliver Stone, even though he's over-the-top in many ways, I find almost all of his movies, very watchable, if a bit biased

But WTC is different than an 'Oliver Stone movie'. For those of you who are hesitant to see this movie because it's 'too soon', I encourage you to see it. If anything, it proves it's too late. It has almost NOTHING to do with the actual terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center towers, but in many ways it made me feel very much like I did in the few days following 9/11.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the effects on individual lives that that attack had. It's heart-rending and very sad, but not because anyone dies. It's tremendously sad because the two people who the movie stars, live. . It's sad because it makes you realize that all the tens of thousands of thought to be missing -- if only for a few hours or a few days -- had frantic loved ones who cared and cried and whose lives were upended momentarily -- until those issues were resolved.

It's most tremendously sad because it shows what every family of the 2749 people who are confirmed dead went through and then had no relief -- what they must still be going through today.

It shows the remarkable resolve that the hundreds of men and women working feverishly at Ground Zero under almost impossible conditions so that they could save a mere 20 lives. But it makes you realize that every single one of those lives was tremendously worth saving: worth the Herculean effort.

It's makes you get a lump in your throat as you realize that maybe you too should tell that person you love them before they walk out the door. Or hug your kid a little more, or finish that household chore that you've been putting off, or laugh and smile a bit more.

This movie whacks you in the face and makes you understand how strong we can be and how strong we maybe SHOULD be more often.

If you are worried that it's a maudlin, opportunistic movie by "that Oliver Stone", don't worry, it's not. Other than the unfortunate last 2 or 3 minutes [that I thought could have been omitted], when the written screens sort of tell you what the movie was about, it is excellent at demonstrating just fine what it's about for the first two hours. One thing it's most certainly not about is the attack on the world trade centers or terrorism.

Paul

[insert pithy quote here]
Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx