[lit-ideas] WHAT WOULD REPUBLICAN JESUS DO?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:19:11 EST

I feel like apologizing for it, but I always have loved Ted Rall.....

Julie Krueger

_Yahoo!  News - WHAT WOULD REPUBLICAN JESUS DO?_
(http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=127&e=14&u=/ucru/whatwouldrepublicanjesusdo)

WHAT WOULD REPUBLICAN JESUS DO?
By Ted Rall
Miracles of the Trickle-Down Messiah
NEW YORK--And it came to pass that Republican Jesus  met with His advisers,
strategists and corporate cronies. He took them and  withdrew apart to a
deserted city called Bethesda. But the multitudes followed  Him nonetheless. So
Republican Jesus asked His cronies to build Him a great  stadium where He could
welcome members of the multitudes able to pay Him an  admission fee and
purchase
vast quantities of licensed merchandise at exorbitant  prices.
He welcomed these people and sent off those who needed medical attention to a
 land called Canada.
The light of the day began to wane, so His toadies said to Republican Jesus:
"Send these stinky riffraff away, that we may cross the Beltway to our home,
and  get steaks and baked potatoes and double martinis and crème brulées, for
here we  are in a barren place with naught but a TCBY and a vestigial relic of
the  Hardee's chain." He answered them: "Stop whining, for God's sake. You
will soon  have more than enough to eat."
They said to Him: "But we have a mere five Power Bars and two Diet Cokes. We
are twelve advisers, strategists and corporate sycophants, and many of us are
 portly, and with all due respect, that sucks hard."
He told His hangers-on: "Sit down, shut up, and give me all of your money."
After exchanging cynical glances, they did dig into their wallets and gave Him
 their loot. With that Republican Jesus raced to his waiting SUV and ordered
his  chauffeur to fly like the wind.
"As a rising tide lifts all boats," He cried from his speeding automobile,
"so shall you benefit from the increased economic activity generated by the
money you have given Me! I will buy Myself a sumptuous banquet and several
portable electronic devices and also ho's, creating jobs in the
food/electronic/ho sectors that you will take in order to feed yourselves. Give
 a man a fish
and he eats a fish, but teach a man to fish at rock-bottom wages  and we all
shall eat his fish."
After Republican Jesus performed this miracle, his erstwhile suck-ups drew
lots to determine which of them would be eaten first.
Then Republican Jesus turned his attention to household affairs. His mother
Republican Mary said to Him: "Your father Republican Joseph is away on
business,  but do not worry, for he has left us with ample savings. Moreover,
positive cash  flow is projected for many years to come. Republican Jesus said
her: "What  does that have to do with me?"
Now there were six bricks of cash hidden by the elder Mr. Christ in a
lockbox, containing one trillion dollars each. Republican Jesus ordered his
mother:
"Set Dad's money on fire." Republican Jesus had been hitting the sauce  and
talking crazy, so she complied. "Now go to the temple," He continued, "and
borrow ten more bricks from the moneylenders."
When Joseph returned, he didn't know where the extra four bricks of cash had
come from. (Mary knew, but didn't dare tell him.) Joseph told Republican
Jesus:  "I don't know how you did it, but our days of independent carpentry are
over.  Let's launch a hostile takeover of Home Depot!"
Spying one of the moneylenders walking toward them, Republican Jesus took his
 leave.
As He was later walking through the grounds of his whites-only country club,
behold, there was an African groundskeeper suffering from AIDS.  When he  saw
Republican Jesus, he fell down and begged Him, saying, "Lord, if you want
to, you can cure my affliction." Cannily recoiling to avoid infection,
Republican Jesus directed the man to a website that pledged millions of dollars
fight AIDS in Africa. "You took that money away from AIDS spending here," the
diseased man tried to point out, but the official chroniclers deemed his
comment  uninteresting and unworthy of investigation. And so it never occurred.

It was at this time that someone came to Republican Jesus to tell Him of the
death of a certain man, Lazarus. So Republican Jesus appealed to the Roman
military governor, Pontius Pilate. "Proconsul," He said in the city forum,
"evildoers from the east have slain Lazarus and other taxpaying citizens. We
must therefore assemble a great army of slaves equipped with the sharpest
swords
to invade Parthia and its allies. Only by making the sands of Parthia run red
 with Parthian blood shall we avenge Lazarus, liberate Parthia's oppressed
vassal  states and eliminate the threat posed by their illegal and illicit
catapults."
Pilate tried to argue with Republican Jesus. "Our glorious emperor Augustus
has exchanged observers with the Parthian court at Nisa as part of a treaty of
 peace. No one has seen the catapults you describe. And Lazarus died from
medical  malpractice. Parthia had nothing to do with it."
"Can you take that chance? Do you trust your safety to Parthia?" Republican
Jesus goaded the crowd. "Will you stand idly by while Parthia re-arms on the
road to a smoky cloud over a burning Rome? Are you wussies?" "No!" the crowd
roared as He rolled his eyes. And so one Roman army after another marched
east,  never to return. And this became known as the miracle of the vanishing
soldiers.