[lit-ideas] Re: Vegetarian -- and Metalinguistic Negation

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:24:21 -0400

JL, you make things too complicated.

The comma in the sentence covers it completely.

The would-be sentence "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals" is NOT
a sentence in this case. Because of the presence of the comma, it is a
dependent clause and is therefore rendered to given the whole sentence the
meaning: "the reason that I am a vegetarian is NOT because I love animals
[big breath in] the reason that I AM a vegetarian is because I hate plants."

There is also some indicating structure in the unusual arrangement of the
first sentence. No one would natural say "I'm a vegetarian because I love
animals" unless they were responding to "why are you a vegetarian" on a
grade 6 literature exam or developing basic syntactic structure as an
"English-as-a-second-language" student. Normally, they would simply respond
"because I love animals."

The more natural structure is "I love animals and for that reason, I'm a
vegetarian. The important part is NOT that they are a vegetarian, but that
they love animals. Of course, I may be wrong because I'm not right.

Paul