[lit-ideas] Tuesday Verse

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:03:05 -0400

The Beginning of My Children's Book
She sits at the table and flips through the paper,
quarter to nine with more coffee than time,
good morning, I yawn, as I enter the room.
The princess of gloom is awake, she replies.
I shoot her a look as she raises her eyes -
don't give me that look, she retorts.
I ask if there's anything new in the news.
Not, she reports, that's of interest to you.
I pop in some soon-to-be toast.
A conservative sort, she picks what she reads -
she cancelled the Star for opposing the creed.
Why do we now get the Post? I inquire.
I notice my toast has been 'broiled'.
I stand at the counter, she changes the subject,
I change it again my annoyance quite plain.
Can you please switch the dial back to 'toast' when you're through?
Or what you could do, is check it before you begin,
she suggests, as she gathers her things and exits the room.
I'm talking to you, I reply.
Where were you last night? she calls from the hall.
I ignore her, push past up the stairs.
Out drinking, were you? she barks and I start.
Yes Yoda, I sneer - drank twenty-five beers,
one for each year I'll be stuck here with you!
Not one polite bone in your body! she cries.

Erin
Toronto