[lit-ideas] Re: Tsunami

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:29:03 -0800

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=676&e=1&u=/usatoday/scientistsinusasawtsunamicoming

Scientists in USA saw tsunami coming
Tue Dec 28, 7:11 AM ET Top Stories - USATODAY.com
By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

Minutes after a massive earthquake rocked the Indian Ocean on Sunday,
international ocean
monitors knew that a tsunami would likely follow. But they didn't know whom to
tell.

"We put out a bulletin within 20 minutes, technically as fast as we could do
it," says Jeff
LaDouce of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. LaDouce says
e-mails were
dispatched to Indonesian officials, but he doesn't know what happened to the
information.

The problem is that Sunday's earthquake struck the unmonitored Indian Ocean. An
international system of buoys and monitoring stations - the Pacific Tsunami
Warning Center
based in Hawaii - spans the Pacific, alerting nations there to any oncoming
disasters. But
no such system guards the Indian Ocean.