[lit-ideas] Re: Travel instead of war...(was something less cheerful)

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:06:13 -0700 (PDT)

--- Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Let's talk travel instead of war...     We're
> off to Paris, Berlin, Riga and Avignon this August.

Baltics in general is home to a lot that is weird and
wonderful, so if you have time, take a sidestrip from
Riga. Jurmala is a nice beach town, although I'd
recommend Pärnu up North in Estonian side of the
border, two hours drive from Riga. If you are
traveling overland from Berlin, do consider stopping
at Lithuania. Vilnius is a fine medieval postcard
city, never been to Kaunas myself but people seem to
like it too. Or you can go to the Stalin World
(http://www.grutoparkas.lt/index-en.htm)

What intrigues me however, I am kind of itching to
just hop a ferry to Tallin and drive south, is the
beaches in Lithuania. Best in North Europe they say,
and as answer to pub quiz silver line to Stalin. They
were pretty much closed (!) during the Communist rule,
which means they are not yet full of sea side resorts.
The idea was that the traditional fishing was impeding
progress and thus no entry to the beaches, or
something like that. Nida would be the town to go, and
by the way is an Unesco World Heritage site. The
tourist sites inform me that Thomas Mann used to spend
some summers there, I wonder if he wrote anything
about the place?

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland