[lit-ideas] Re: Toulmin's Gross Moral Turpitude

  • From: jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 12:57:02 -0500

P. Stone:

"I was just pointing out how -- with everyone, but especially with famouse everyones -- we never talk about them until they are dead."

Too true. This may have to do with Holderin´s idea -- taken up by Heidegger and Geary -- of death as finality.

I think the Victorian custom of publishing obituaries is to blame. I never read an obituary of someone whom I never knew when _alive_. Unless I´m in the bathroom.

With the industry of obituaries (a Victorian invention, as Ritchie may testify), it became a mark of polite society to point out when someone has left the ´land of the living´.

The obituaries in THE TIMES were the "order of the day".
Ditto with births. It was customary to point out when someone´s baby was born. Or someone engaged, or married, etc.

In Polynesia, as McCreery may testify, that is _not_ the norm.

Cheers,

JLS