[lit-ideas] Toponymy Studies

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:33:52 EST

In a message dated 11/16/2004 10:21:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
According to my references, the ancient name for Hungerford was  Ingleford,
"Ford of the Angles."  "A centre for the breeding and  stabling of
racehorses...offers angling on the River Kennet."

David  Ritchie,
aware that not every berk is in  Berkshire

----

Figuratively, no. But literally, yes, because that's where the world-famous
fox-chases are practiced. Oddly, D. Crystal, trying to explain the origin of
'berk' traces wrongly to "Berkeley" -- in Gloucestershire -- rather than the
County on the Thames.

If Ritchie is right, and Hungerford derives from "Angle-ford", we would  have
a case of hypercorrection. As when a Cockney says, "hanyways". Note that
"Angle" is a homonym, too. It can mean the fishing instrument, or it can mean
the fishing people (The Angles).

It's amazing how place-names ending in 'ford' translated to U.S.A. which  are
not actually _fords_ at all. There are a few along the Connecticut
shoreline: Stamford, Milford, Branford, Guilford, ... -- Only in Guilford the
reference can be made to the West River that creates a sort of ford where the
sun
shines through in a manner that resembles gold -- hence 'gyld'.

Oddly, "Stanford" in California and "Stamford" in Connecticut are cognate.

Cheers,

JL