[lit-ideas] Today's Geburtstagskind [birthday child]

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:36:09 +0100

Today - a centenary.

He was born 10 Dec. 1908 - the son of a poet and a teacher of English (but his métier was not one of the literary arts). A passionate amateur ornithologist (which is reflected in many of his works), he apparently experienced a mild form of synaesthasia and experimented with perametrization [don't ask me - I'm reading the term today for the first time myself!] . One of his masterpieces was created in 1941 under the most appalling of conditions while a prisoner of war interned in camp Stalag VIII-A (which should eternally serve as both inspiration and admonishment to those of us who worry about or complain of less-than-optimal atmosphere, or paucity of materials of sufficient quality, for creative endeavour).

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany