[lit-ideas] Time for Realpolitik?

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:59:47 +0900

When my Senator, Jim Webb, talks about the need for diplomacy in the
Middle East, instead of the current administration's "My way or no
way" cowboy strut, he is speaking to a real need, with dimensions that
our class-of-civilizations, wingnut keyboard warriors would like to
ignore. More fools they. Check out the following piece in the Asia
Times

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Central_Asia/IB17Ag01.html

and note how our old adversary Russia is quietly building a positive
reputation in the region. Note, too, the passing remark that, with
things going the way they are, India and China are likely to be the
prime beneficiaries of petroleum and other natural resources in
Russia's Far East. While we are scrambling to deal with the hornet's
nest of international terrorism, others with cooler eyes on the way
the world works are stepping up to take advantage. While we are trying
to swat hornets and stirring up more all the time,  they're building
the alliances that will leave us isolated in the resource wars of the
21st century. Not a nice place to be.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN