[lit-ideas] Re: This is a post in which I am not even going to mention God.

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 05:01:39 -0400

On 10/19/2010 2:34 AM, Mike Geary wrote:
  I do believe that we are through and through physical
creatures -- but physicality?  What the hell does that mean?  It means
nothing to a cosmic ray which can and does shoot through physical masses
like the earth and never touch anything.

Physicalist explanations are essentially materialist explanations with energy thrown in, to allow the speaker to be appear to be more precise and make a big hit at cocktail parties, line dances, and shotgun weddings. It's another, better, term for materialism, especially after the old E = m times and a constant discovery.

However, exactly what physicalist explanations seem to consist of also seems to change, given the slightly more recent and stunning stuff like Bell's Theorem, which capped the EPR-Bohr debate.

As for the first momentous question, I haven't met any Tea Party people, believe it to be a media spectacle devoid of content, sort of like the presumed inner life of Michael Moore.

As for the other momentous question, consensus right now is that the Big Bang itself created both the time *and* the space (!) into which it ramified. Since we are all inside the big bang and consist of it, we're probably not in a great position to speculate about a lot, though I like ladybugs.