[lit-ideas] Re: There's a person, a person in the...

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 10:27:53 -0700

...Those of you who haven't seen "Pirates of the Caribbean" five million times may not get the reference. It's my way of changing the subject to...examples of wave interference in metaphor (hence the person in the water intro). Sr. Speranza reminded us just recently that the Bulwer-Lytton contest results are in. It being July and the start of the silly season--this you know because it rained hail on yesterday's Harry Potter opening in London--I'd like to propose a contest of our own: the Isabel Sawhill competition. All you have to do to enter is find a published riddle or wash of metaphors which impresses in the manner of the following example from Sawhill, "a budget expert at the Brookings Institute" (also probably a very nice person who was just trying to say something quotable under pressure of deadline),

"The fear is if we just let the economy continue to be a big hole, that in itself will balloon the deficit, because revenues are just anemic right now."

Just do have at it.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon