[lit-ideas] Re: The perverted Logician photographer

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 02:05:20 +0200

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Geary
  To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:25 PM
  Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: The perverted Logician photographer

I've sometimes wondered what the difference between "supposition" and
"presupposition" might be.  The dictionaries I've consulted list each word as a
synonym for the other and yet we all know that one word is not like another --
there's more to the meaning of a word than mere meaning -- there's heartache
and muscle, too, and tint, let's not forget tint.  Try this, I said to myself,
"The supposition that presuppositions influence a writer's work is a common one
and, I suppose, it presupposes the supposition that presupposition is the soul
of all knowledge since nothing can be proven -- or so I presume."

I disagree with Mike's "... and yet we all know that one word is *not* like
another" (my emphasis). Try this, I says to ya, "The presupposition that
suppositions influence a writer's work is a common one and, I presume, it
supposes the presupposition that supposition is the soul of all knowledge since
nothing can be evidenced--or so I suppose." Notice any difference? Me neither.

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz