[lit-ideas] Re: The hilarity of Fichte

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:15:56 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/2004 4:52:03 AM Eastern Standard Time, goya@xxxxxxx
writes:
M.C. Am  I the only one here who doesn't understand what's funny  about=20
this?

----

Well, there's the literal interpretation:

     The hilarity of 'Fichte'.

As in 'the hilarity of "Speranza"".

A slight difference: while "Speranza" is of Provencal origin -- and  Italian,
it does not feature in the OED, neither as an entry nor as adjective.
"Fichte" is, instead, German, and it features in the OED as an adjective --.
Some
of the quotes happen to be, I guess, hilarious.

From the OED

'Fichtean' Pronunciation: 'fixtian' -- f. the name of the  German philosopher
and author Johann Gottlieb Fichte (born in Germany 1762,  died in Germany
1814).]  Of, pertaining to, or connected with  Fichte or his philosophy.

First cite:

1817 COLERIDGE Biog. Lit.  I. ix. 148

The following  burlesque on the Fichtean Egoismus may, perhaps, be amusing to
the few who have  studied the system.

    [Note that, like Erin,  Coleridge focuses on the hilarity -- 'burlesque',
'amusing' -- side of the  Fichtean system]

1859  J. S.  MILL Liberty ii. 63

The intellectual  fermentation of Germany during the Goethian and Fichtean
period.

   [You will agree that speaking of  'fermentation' here -- as in champagne
-- is, here, funny]

1890  W.  JAMES  Princ. Psychol. I. x. 365

Kant deemed it of  next to no importance at all. It was reserved for his
Fichtean and Hegelian  successors to call it the first Principle of Philosophy.

     [This is altogether  serious, but his brother -- William James -- wrote
some funny novels, set in  Rye, etc. ]

1910 W. JAMES Mem.  & Stud. (1911) xv. 373

The author's maiden  adventure..begins with dialectic reasoning, of an
extremely Fichtean and  Hegelian type.

[--- I suppose the idea of a 'maiden adventure' should not be taken so
hilariously,]

Cheers,

JL