[lit-ideas] Re: The flu

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:55:49 -0800

Re: Gray panthers
Judy, what's Saga?

The Gray Panthers have been around for ages--I was a young undergrad back
when they formed in Oakland, taking the name's fighting image from the Black
Panthers. There's still a dinky little Gray Panther office in Berkeley,
though the org  itself is pretty tatty and disorganized these days. The
AARP, otoh, is a fairly slick org. They send everyone a membership card on
your 50th birthday (not something most of us appreciate), and their magazine
is full of "active senior life"--mostly stories and images of tanned,
white-haired people in Arizona with golf clubs.

Politically, they seem to speak for the people who can afford to retire as a
choice at age 50, and really don't need help with meds, health insurance,
etc. Since I don't know anyone in that category, I'd volunteer Our Great
Leader to get with the trend. Meanwhile, I intend to continue collecting a
double discount at the movies, as both a "senior" and a full-time student.
Carol