[lit-ideas] The Training of Robert Paul (Was: Miss Craw)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:05:13 EDT

>When I was taught English grammar at the nursery by  my Nottinghamshire
nanny, Miss Craw, of happy memory, I >was held to what  were presented as the
highest standards: 'between >you and I'  is what she called a 'mistake'.

Now, I'm confused.

How come (if you excuse me the Germanism) Robert Paul needed to be  _trained_
in the English language.

What was wrong with R. Paul's father-tongue or  mother-tongue. Why engage the
services of Miss Craw?

I was never _taught_ grammar, and would _never_ say "between you and I"
('between' governs dative).

Miss Craw's conception of a 'mistake' seems pretty narrow, too. It's  obvious
that the _logical form_ of "between you and I" _is_ 'between you and I'.
It's just a dialectical (alla Hegel) choice which expression you use.

I don't know where Miss Craw hailed from, but in many shires of the English
speaking-world, they say things, like "it's me", which is supposed to be _NOT_
a  mistake, and things like "Me and my girl were meant for each other". If
you  start calling these _mistakes_ you end up realizing perhaps it was a
_mistake_  that people found Miss Craw worth hiring.

J. L.