[lit-ideas] Re: The Strident Voice of Defeat ['a militarysolution']

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:20:26 -0800

Lawrence wrote:

If this is addressed at me, I agree with what Gates says (depending upon
what he means by "other departments of the U.S. government), but I don't
think the question is clear.  The purely military portion of the effort in
Iraq is over.  We are now in the Nation Building phase and we can't build a
nation with the just the military.  We need the military to provide security
while the nation is being built.  The security can be handled by either
military, national guard (which in Iraq's case is the military) or the
police depending upon the size of the problem.  The influx of foreigners
bent upon preventing the Iraqi government from achieving viability as well
as Sunnis who have changed their mind about becoming part of the new
government (assuming their minds were ever inclined in that direction)
presents a problem that many say the Bush administration should have
foreseen and forestalled by more troops.

[snip]

It was addressed to Brian, who apparently could not stay for an answer. It was, I thought, another clear instance of someone 'in the military' (although not, I grant, in uniform) who agreed that there was no 'purely military' solution to the mess in Iraq. But thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Robert Paul