[lit-ideas] "The Stick of Archilochus -- and Other Legends, by M. J Geary, DD

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:06:35 EDT

1988 Classical  Q. 38 44 Archilochus' message-stick has  nothing to do with
writing, but is a relic of the old oral culture in which he  and his audience
grew up.

-- I would like to learn about this man. His stick interests me. I would
assume Geary even keeps a relic of the message stick.

I always assumed those signs (tatoos) in the stick to be graphemes, but if
we are to trust the Classical Q(ueer?), they have "nothing to do with writing".

So they _must_ be merely ideographic ieroglyphs (not yet graphia) imbued
with some mystic fertility power. This may explain why Geary keeps the stick in

the attic.

Cheers,

JL