[lit-ideas] The Song of the Turkey (Was: Gobbledygook)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 08:31:10 EDT

Andreas Ramos reports:

>>>"googly", "spam", and "gobbledegook" have been
>>>voted among the most untranslatable
>>>words in  the English language.

Eric Yost is puzzled:

>>Gobbledegook is "quatsch" in German isn't it?
>>Surely many languages have their quatsch?

Peter Junger corrects:

>What you are saying is Quatsch;
>``goobldegook'' is ``Kauderwelsch.''

----

Interestingly, the spelling in the OED2 entry is "gobbledYgook",  onomatopeic
for the song of the _meleagris gallopavo_. Below.

Cheers,

J. L.

----

From the OED

"gobbledygock", orig. U.S.  Also gobbledegook. [Repr. a turkey-cock's
gobble.]

Figurative:

Official, professional, or pretentious verbiage or  jargon.

Cites:

1944 Amer. N. & Q.  Apr. 9/1

Gobbledygook: Maury  Maverick's name for the long high-sounding words of
Washington's red-tape  language.

1944 M. MAVERICK in N.Y. Times Mag. 21 May 11/1

Just before Pearl  Harbor, I..got my baptism under â??gobbledygookâ??..its
definition: talk or writing  which is long, pompous, vague, involved, usually
with
Latinized words. It is  also talk or writing which is merely long.

1945  Tuscaloosa (Ala.) News 7 Aug. 4/3

The explanations  sound like gobbledegook to me.

1947 Time 7 July 7/1 The Veterans  Administration translated its bureaucratic
gobbledygook.

1950 â??S. RANSOMEâ?? Deadly Miss Ashley ii. 16 It now  seemed a tricked-up
system of gobbledegook wherein justice had foundered.

1951 WODEHOUSE Old Reliable vii. 94 You  insult my intelligence by trying to
put gobbledy-gook like that over me.

1959 M. DOLINSKY There is no Silence i. 5, I had been subjected to too much
psychiatric gobbledygook.

1968 M. BLACK  Labyrinth of Lang. vi. 124  Jargon (or â??gobbledygookâ??, to
use
the more expressive term).

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00096328?case_id=gmtb-LVvTVR-536&p=0&sp=0&qt=1&ct=0&ad=0&d=1-D#top)