[lit-ideas] Re: The Road to Buenos Ayres (Was: Splott

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:27:46 +0100

Oops. I forgot.  (I wandered around Cardiff in the lovely, just slightly
chilly, Autumn sun,
then had what must have been rather suspect smoked salmon.... I feel a bit
ill...)

>the polemic that Shiley Bassey is 'promoted' as "the lady of Tiger Bay",
>when someone else comes and says she's from "Splott

yes that was good stuff!

>Oh please. Both possibly interesting _in different ways_

Buenos Aires is simply so very much bigger than Cardiff.

>I should check how far the docks of Tiger Bay (and Temperance
>Town, also mentioned) are from actual Splott

Very near, in fact, adjacent.  Splott's still here but as you say, Tiger Bay,
whose massive
multi-occupancy houses and lovely squares were demolished, to be replaced by
council housing much of which was itself later demolished, is now
Cardiff Bay (its docklands gone).  It isn't though only a tourist place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiff_Bay

I can't find a decent web page for the Bay; there are some OK photos here

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Cardiff%20Bay&w=all

>In any case, it's all about a city centred around an international
>harbour like Cardiff is. Today the harbour is pretty much isolated
> from the downtown area, and big ships arrive at the _northern_
>docks, never downtown.

I don't know that I'd say Cardiff was centred around the docks (but I
suppose it was, at one time).  Now, yes, the Bay is rather isolated, in
a sense; it's very near the centre but the strip between is bleak
and undeveloped.

>I'm only suggesting that _docks_ *are* dangerous,

apparently Tiger Bay was, once.

I've been investigating Buenos Aires but, because it's so much larger than
Cardiff, not very effectively.  But wait!, I just found this -- it sounds like
just my kind of place....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/destinations/south-america/argentina/buenos-aires

BTW I see you're going to try to stop us pinching the Antarctic....

Judy Evans, Cardiff, Wales

PS >-- Blue placques are for deceased people only?

yes.  So the row will continue....