[lit-ideas] The Reality of Our Image

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:17:48 -0800

Omar posted several sites that seemed to him moderate or close to it. As I went through them I found that I agreed with him. I noticed that they were located in areas that were most likely to have moderates that could speak out if any nation had them, Lebanon, Jordan, Dubai. Egypt was represented and I knew there were people that could speak but there were boundaries, (this was the nation that inspired Baker's Islam without Fear),. But I was surprised to find some moderate writing coming from Saudi Arabia.

When I got to the Daily Times from Pakistan, an article by Rasul Bkhsh Rais really impressed me. I sent him an email. You can see his response below. I thank Omar for his web sites. And I must confess that I had Dinesh D'Souza's thesis in mind, namely that American Conservatives ought to reach out to Islamic Traditionalists. I don't know whether Rasul is a secular moderate or one of the Traditionalists that D'Souza had in mind, but it's hard not to be encouraged by his response.

Lawrence

From: "Rasul Bakhsh Rais" <rasul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The Reality of Our Image
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:13:21 +0500

Dear Mr Helm:
Thanks for reading my article and commenting on it. You have raised interesting questions. I don't write for Urdu newspapers. Obviously Urdu newspapers have larger circulation than the English language dailies. But English has been official language and medium of instruction in universities and professional colleges since the later half of the 19th century. The intelligentsia, official class and good number of politicians do read English newspapers. Despite the image problem, one of the healthy thing that has happend in Pakistan is free speach with the proliferation of electronic media. I am also invited by tv channels to comment on current national and internal issues. I really don't hesitate to say whatever I want to say. This is a bit of courage I picked nearly 29 years back when I came to University of California, Santa Barbara as I a graduate student. I finished my doctorate in 1981 and returned to Pakistan. I believe we have reclaim our political ground that we have lost out to extremists. It is I believe a fight for the future of Muslim societies, our children and our future generations. But sometime I do have moments of doubts. Your note has lifted my spirits for two reasons. First I have a communication from a Californian. California is part of my life and life experience, and all those wonderful friends, teachers and some students with whom I have stayed in touch over the decades. Second, if something happens, now I know that there are people like you in the world who support me. Thanks a lot. May God bless you.
regards,
Rasul Bakhsh Rais