[lit-ideas] The Philosopher's Self-Deception

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 13:20:59 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/27/2012 6:33:41  P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx was mentioning, in passing,
the  Taniyama-Shimura conjecture.

----

Oddly, Child (as per my previous post) is right about Witters's confusions
with "I".

Surely Wittgenstein can say,

"My nose is beautiful" (or big for that matter) when it's not. So, whereas
Witters held that "I" statements carried two features:

privileged access
and
incorrigibility

he was wrong on both counts.

For a time, HPG thought likewise, till he learned better from D. F. Pears,
the only philosopher who has studied self-deception intelligently, along
the  lines of a theory of rationality.

----

The interesting thing is, then, to review (with a view to a refutation) why
 Witters was so concerned about the incorrigibility and privileged access
of, er,  "I".

Child writes, as per link in previous post:
"Questions  about the use of ‘I’ arise throughout Wittgenstein’s
writings."

‘My  arm is broken' is CORRIGIBLE. As "My nose is beautiful", or "My  nose
is big".

‘I have grown six inches' is similarly corrigible.

‘I have a bump on my forehead’ is VERY CORRIGIBLE (Witters may be seeing a
 reflection of his FRIEND's forehead, and it is Witters's friend's forehead
which  as a bump).

‘The  wind blows my hair about’ is similarly corrigible -- since  Witters
may be wearing a wig.

On the other hand, Witters claims that some utterances are, like "2 + 2 =
4", INCORRIGIBLE:

‘I see  so-and-so’, ‘I hear so-and-so’, ‘I try to lift my arm’, ‘I
think
it will rain’,  ‘I have toothache’.

Child comments: "It is possible that, say in an accident, I should   feel a
pain in my arm,
see a broken arm at my side, and think it is mine,  when  it is really my
neighbour’s. And I could, looking into a mirror,  mistake a bump  on his
forehead for one on mine."

The view by Witters on incorrigibility is too simplistic and merits
refutation rather than correction. As Child notes, but Witters doesn't:
"someone who asserts ‘I have a bump on  my forehead’ or ‘I have  toothache’
is doing two things:
a) she is saying  which person has a particular property (it is I  rather
than you who has a bump  or a toothache); and
b) she is saying what property that person has (I  have a bump rather  than
a scratch, or a toothache rather than a headache).
Child concludes: "A question about the possibility of error arises in each
case: can the
subject be wrong about which person it is who has a bump  or a 2
toothache?; and
can she be wrong that what that person has is a bump  or a toothache?".

And so on.

Cheers,

Speranza

Refs.
Pears, D. F. Motivated irrationality, Oxford.