[lit-ideas] Re: The 'Near-Eastern' influences on the Greek philosophy,scienc...

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 10:06:36 -0400

Haven't yet looked at Omar's links (or yours here) but Miletus' bars and
baths and taverns and toilets must have attracted traders, adventurers,
politicians and other reprobates from all over the ANE.   Religions get
discussed, ideas get exchanged, new theories get developed.  Next thing
you know, you get philosophy.  And because you're so far from central
authority, you get to talk about it and teach it and refine it.   If
they'd tried that in the homeland, they'd have found hemlock on the
menu.  That's what I tell my students anyway.
Ursula