[lit-ideas] Re: The Life and Death of Paul Feyerabend

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 13:22:53 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/2009 12:18:55 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
O give it a rest.

---

I will. But, like C. Bruce, you disappoint me :).

You  failed, in my view, to address the important topic of the header, "The
life and  death of...". Never mind Feyerabend. You'll agree that 'the life
and death of  ...' is a silly title, but there are _hundreds_ of books with
that  title.

"Life is what happens to you when you are making other  plans"

"Death" has the -th ending,

Always look on the bright side  of death
just before you draw your terminal breath

So the -th ending  indicates it's an abstract noun (as sloth, truth, froth)
from 'die'.

But  the abstract ending is to indicate "the quality of ...", e.g. truth,
the quality  of being true. But 'death' is sometimes used to mean: the
_dying_, not the  quality of being death. Especially in opera, "La morte di"
occurs in quite a  few.

Now, 'death' is defined only in terms of life. I would think that  Lennon's
implicature is:

"Life is ... -- and then you  die".

where the predicate is "what happens to you when you're busy making  other
plans".

Etc.

I don't recognise "the land of the dead" as a  topos.
Cheers,

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.