[lit-ideas] Re: The History of Effects

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 21:05:56 -0600

I'm smiling.  I'm glad someone else loved it!  I've received replies from
the handful of people I shared it with heavily criticizing the style, form,
etc.  Here's one response from a retired editor in NY:

<<One of my copywriters fancied himself a poet (and was a Yeats scholar
working on a grad degree) and tried to develop my ken of poetry.  He'd
recite a line or two and asked me what I thought and I always seemed to say
the wrong thing.  Exasperated, he would say: "But can't you see? It's so
obvious!"  And I'd reply, "Not to me."  I guess I just don't have that kind
of mind.

He was attending Columbia at night and taking a class with a noted Yeat's
scholar whose name I have forgotten.  He claimed to have seen something new
in a set of three short poems by Yeats.  His teacher doubted that anyone
could find something new in Yeats, but let him do a grad thesis on the
poems.  The poems added up to a few hundred words.  He did a fifty-page
monograph on them that I could not even begin to understand.  It was the
slow season, so I let him work on the thesis on company time.  How
industrious he looked! LOL.

He left Ronald Press for academia.  The last I heard of him was that he had
married a very wealthy woman.  Way to go!>>

I guess I just don't know enough to not love that poem.

Julie Krueger