[lit-ideas] The Gentleman's Appliance Shop -- From the Outside Looking In

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 19:02:40 EDT

Or Memories of Clitorita, the Victorian  Girl Who Wouldn't Grow Up.

"I think the shop sold trusses of various  sorts, devices for people who
wanted to avoid the surgical repair of  hernias. But why young adults had to be
kept out is a bit of a  mystery, hence the speculation that they had a second
line of business.  It's hard to imagine that there was a sufficient market in
trusses.  What else would they sell? Male corsets perhaps? Condoms  maybe?"

Interesting. I find one 'Victorian' quote for 'truss' in  the OED:

 1876  _GROSS_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g2.html#gross)
Dis. Bladder 99
"Compression of the perineum with a spring  truss."

Similarly, there is one Victorian quote only for  'hernia':

1878 _T.  BRYANT_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b4.html#t-bryant)
  Pract. Surg. I. 644
Abdominal hernia or rupture signifies the  protrusion of any viscus through
an opening in the parietes of the abdominal  cavity.

For 'prolapsed' the Victorian quote is  boring:

 1874  _A. B.  GARROD_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-g.html#a-b-garrod)
  & E. B. BAXTER Essent. Materia Med. (ed. 4) 463
To give tone when applied to prolapsed  parts.

But this Georgian one (1829, and I see you rightly write
'nineteenth-century' rather than Victorian. I happen to think that the most
interesting things
of that century happen _before_ Victoria was  enthroned):

1829 Times 2 Mar. 7/4 (advt.)
Coles' Patent Trusses, for the relief of  Rupture and prolapsed Uterus.

Bladder has some interesting quotes:

1842 _E.  WILSON_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-w3.html#e-wilson)
  Anat. Vade M. 541
The Bladder is an oblong membranous viscus  of an ovoid shape.

I'm happy to hear D. Ritchie once taught gynecology  (Women's Studies,
nowadays). One sexual (dimorphic sexualism) between males and  females, as
Geary
knows, is in the urinary tract. I'm going to be trained as a  practising
research
in "Andrology" (Men's Studies, or as I prefer,  "Masculinities Studies").

Our reading is:

David Friedman,
A Cultural History of the Penis.
(London: The Free Press).

Unfortunately, I don't read there much about urological  problems that seem
to fascinate Ritchie.

Ritchie says he's not tempted into the  Grecians.

I am.

I read from Friedman:

"The Greeks taught, and  medieval Europeans believed, that erection [of the
penis] was 'inflation by  wind,' a breathlike 'spirit' from the LIVER that
traveled to the heart then back  to the arteries, filling the hollow of the
penis.
Da Vinci believed what he saw  with his own eyes."

[He was autosexualis. JLS]

"In 1477 he attended a public hanging. At the subsequent  dissection of this
body by anatomists, a practice allowed twice a year by  Florentine authorities
on dead criminals, da Vinci saw what really filled the  organ:

"I  have seen ... dead men who have the member
          erected,  for many die thus, especially those
           hanged. Of these [penises] I have seen the
          anatomy,  all of them having great density and
          hardness,  and being quite filled by a large
          quantity  of blood. ... If an adversary says
          wind  caused this enlargement and hardness,
          as  in a bill with which one plays, I say
          such wind  gives neither weight nor density ...
          Besides,  one sees that an erect penis has a
          red  glans, which is the sign of the inflow of
           blood; and when it is not erect, this glans
          has a  whitish surface."

"In 1585, Ambroise Paré, personal physician to four kings  of France and
often called the father of modern surgery, published the same  conclusion in a
medical treatise. According to the AMERICAN UROLOGICAL  ASSOCIATION, this was
the
first accurate description of the role of blood in the  erection process in
official Western medical literature [But Da Vinci said it  earlier]"

"Modern UROLOGISTS marvel at Leonardo's accurate drawings  of the epididymis
(the comma-shaped structure adjoining each testicle where  final maturation of
sperm cells occurs) and the vas deferens, the much  straighter tube that
conveys the spermatic fluid TO THE NECK OF THE BLADDER for  emission through
THE
URETHRA DURING CLIMAX"

-- This may be Ritchie's field.

"But Da Vinci did not get everything right. Several  attention-grabbing
errors occur near or in the coition figure. ... The severed  shat behind the
glans
reveals

      TWO TUBES

[and this is why I consider Masculinity Studies are more  difficult than
Feminism, because women only have ONE TUBE.  JLS]

"inside --

      1. one for  urine
      2. the other for  semen.

"This odd blunder -- asserting there are TWO URETHRAS  inside every human
penis [oops. Apparently, there's only one tube. JLS] shows  how Church dogma
was
still trumping science in the late fifteenth and early  sixteenth centuries."

"Medieval anatomists feld the need to establish a boundary  between:

         1.  urine

-- thought by the Church to be entirely polluting --  and

         2.  semen

-- which, althouth the carrier of original sin, was still  viewed by Rome as
the source of a new human soul.

"Similar errors are drawn nearby. The semen tube in the  coition figure
originates at the base of the spine, a placement reflecting the  teachings of
Hippocrates [and Galen] ... who taught that semen enters the penis  from the
spinal
marrow, something Plato believed as well."

"There is only one problem: this tube does not  exist."

"Galen's job at a gladiator school gave him ample access  to body wounds in
humans."

You see Ritchie. You shouldn't be all that innocent about  Loeb. There's the
Loeb Galen (I wonder why Strawson the philosopher christened  his son Galen --
now teaches at Princeton).

"but Galen's medical books were based on classical  metaphysics."

"Though Leonardo drew it as it did, there is some evidence  the doubted Galen
on this point. 'Are not testicles the cause of ardor?' he  wrote on the page.

Thanks for clarification on Charlton. I _am_ slightly  familiar with
Woolwich. I cannot see how Trevelyan could dedicate a 3-volume  biography to
the man,
but Garibaldi apparently visited Woolwich in 1879. There  was this street, in
Woolwich, called "Hope", and -- so a Woolwich Town Hall  officer told me --,
its name was changed to "Speranza" when Garibaldi talked to  the masses down
there -- In Italian, I hope.

Yes, 'corsets' and 'condoms' were possibly sold at  GENTLEMEN'S APPLIANCE
SHOPS. I don't know about corsets, but weren't condoms a  great Victorian
invention.

Your very own "Curiosity" Shop.

John Osborne (author of Look back in anger) seems to have  obsessed with
condoms, too. In his biography, he recalls what every public  school boy should
know about them (he went to St. Michael's, Devon). The line he  remembers he
then has on the lips of Archie Rice (Laurence Olivier) in "The  Entertainer" --
"Like sucking a sweet with the wrapper on". He was referring to  one such use
of otherwise known as "French" or "love" letters.

Cheers,

JL
J. L. Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina.