[lit-ideas] The Crusades

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 09:51:42 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 5/15/2014 8:59:03 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
O’Callaghan tells  us French knights were promised land in Spain if they
would drive the Muslims  from it – not land the Spanish were engaged in
fighting for but other land, land  the Muslims held and was not being
immediately
contested by the Spanish.  I  read a couple of books 10 or 15 years ago on
the Crusades and recall the comment  that one of the Popes encouraged the
Franks to go off and free Jerusalem in  order to get them out of Europe where
they kept stirring things up.   O’Callaghan doesn’t give us quite that
picture of them during Urban’s  time.

It would then, perhaps, be good to revise, 'nation by nation', as it were,
how different places 'conceived' of the 'idea', however, false -- all
ultimately  springing from the 'decrees' or 'promises' by Popes Alexander I and
Urban  II (mentioned elsewhere by L. Helm). This below about the "Italian" --
or rather  "Lombard" version -- (first sung by Tasso), which will
eventually turn  out to be the main topic of an opera by Verdi years later!

Oh Signore, dal tetto natìo,
ci chiamasti con santa promessa;
noi  siam corsi all'invito di un pio (1)
giubilando per, l'aspro  sentier.

Ma la fronte avvilita e dimessa
hanno i servi già  baldi e valenti
deh! non far che ludibrio alle genti
siano Cristo, i  tuoi figli guerrieri

Oh fresche aure. volanti sui vaghi
ruscelletti dei prati lombardi !
Fonti eterne ! Purissimi laghi!
Oh  vigneti indorati di sole

Dono infausto, crudele è la mente
che  vi pinge sì veri agli sguardi
ed al labbro più dura e cocente
fa la  sabbia di un arido suol!

Fa la sabbia - fa la sabbia di un arido  suol!
D'un arido suol - d'un arido suol!

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/8171/8171-h/8171-h.htm

"It seems to have been the fate of Grossi as a poet to achieve fashion, and
 not fame; and his great poem in fifteen cantos, called "I Lombardi alla
Prima  Crociata", which made so great a noise in its day, was eclipsed in
reputation by  his subsequent novel of "Marco Visconti". Since the
"Gerusalemma"
of Tasso, it  is said that no poem has made so great a sensation in Italy
as "I Lombardi", in  which the theme treated by the elder poet is celebrated
according to the  aesthetics of the Romantic School."

Cheers,

Speranza