[lit-ideas] Re: The American Civil War, why and how it was fought

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:57:59 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/6/2012 3:15:41 P.M. UTC-02,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
Crowbarring in the obligatory Popper  reference: P somewhere suggested we
would be better off with a political culture  where a politician would gain
support,

Crowbarring in the obligatory Grice reference: Grice said that most nations
 _need_ a civil war. Witness the Civil War in Roman Times (the Roman
Empire). "No  nation is a nation without a civil war".

In my "Civil War alla Grice" I focus on the disimplicature, as I there call
 it, of 'civil'. Geary similarly calls 'civil' as in 'civi' war a misnomer
("While Rome _was_ a city, and thus 'civil' war applies literally, the
Roundheads and the Cavaliers fought in _various_ cities" (*)).

(*) cfr. Latin Dictionary, Short/Lewis, civilis: "as becomes a citizen,
courteously, kindly": Ov. M. 12, 583; id. Tr. 3, 8, 41; Tac. A. 3, 76; 4, 21;
id. H. 2, 91.—.

Cheers,

Speranza