[lit-ideas] Re: The 11th Hour

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:07:06 -0500

RP:
Nah. Strictly personal. Recollections of a 1967 visit to a friend in NY, who lived on Clinton Street. We went walking up into what I think is the West Village, looking for Hassan's, on Cornelia Street, where I'd had a great meal in 1960 or '61. Stopped and asked a guy on a ladder (transformed here into a street person) where Hassan had gone. His reply is quoted above. The dancers are in a picture I took through the door of a rehearsal room in the Henry Street Playhouse.

OK, then, yes, I see. That's even worse than a literary allusion -- that's real life being interesting. That's hardly fair. I still hate smart people and, might I add, people whose lives are more interesting than mine.

Mike Geary
Memphis