[lit-ideas] Teamwork -- no work

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:44:03 EDT

In a message dated 3/11/2009 2:46:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx writes:
I'm writing about ..."
"What do you think  about ... ?"
Here's the kicker. IT IS NOT ONLY ALLOWED BUT  ENCOURAGED.
Apparently the texting/e-toy generation is so afraid of their own
There is no team in I,

----

Exactly. Note also that the English language lacks the proper  expression.
It's called,

     'teamwork'

which is a euphemism. For surely if it's team, it's no work. I'm currently
studying the grammatical impossibility of the 'we'. ("We fuck on Fridays").

It's a double euphemism in that it has a good side to it, 'it's  team_play_"

           All work and  no play
           makes Jack a  dull boy.

--- The opposition is between 'work' and 'play'. I claim that if it's
teamwork it's more like team-play. Team-game. Etc.

You'd notice that some things do require a team effect, co-operation, etc.
General constraints of shared activity unified by a common goal.

But that's _not_ the AE case. For the grade will be given  _individually_, on
an individual case-by-case basis. And the result of the  encouraged
mis-called 'team-work' becomes otiose:

         "I will speak about  blah-blah-blah, i.e. the stupid idea
          by some full-time  bureaucrat instructors in public
          schools to have us  write on _things_. Teamwork
          encouraged, the fat  lady said. My bollocks. What does
          this stupid idiot I  have next to me by _law_ knows
          about blah blah  blah. Shit. Yet, that is not all. I cannot
          cannot cannot cannot  stand a _noise_. Not just fart-
          noise. Any  noice. Mosquito-flight noise. Breathing
          noise. Heartbeat  noise. There is no team in I. I am
          the captain, with  four full limbs, of my soul, stupid!"

Work is overused by educators in English for lack of a better word. It has
nothing to do with 'arbeiten', in German, or with any Romance notion. It is a
barbarism, God knows where it derives from. It's also insulting in
shelter-students who are asked to bring in a 'home-work', now correctly
re-spelled as
'out-of-class assignment'.

If you think Plato and philosophy, or Socrates and philosophy, team work
would be the mayeutic dialogue. But in what way was that _educational_? I find
Socrates's description of it verging on pornograpy:

       "As the midwife opens the vagina of  the woman
        to allow the birth of a boy;  I'll open the brains
        of the boys, to allow the  birth of, not a vagina,
        but an idea".

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina