[lit-ideas] Re: Taste of the pseudo-serious Poetaster

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:51:56 -0400

Hey Mike! I just noticed that last line of yours: "I refuse to take my stuff
seriously enough to talk about it."
Wow! You remind me of my daughter who thinks she's serious about writing
fiction, but unless I'm simply a cheerleader, she gets offended. Critiques
are anathema, just praise. Just give her praise.

You show courage by exposing your work to us. But don't you expect us to be
as analytical about your work as we are about George W. Bush's or Michael
Moore's?

I hope this doesn't stop you from sending us your Sunday work, but do you
expect us to change our stripes just because we admire your willingness to
make yourself vulnerable in the public square? (I think that was the
underlying expectation, now that I think about it.) I'm caught in a trap
now. I don't know which way to turn. Should I just shut up?