[lit-ideas] Sunday sacred Sunday

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:15:47 -0500

RELIGIOUS MEDITATIONS AMENDED

I was sitting side saddle on the sofa
contemplating all the stones thrown
at police, priests, professors and politicians
from then until now.  All those wonderful People
who told you how very, very precious you are --
I'm sorry, did I say "precious"?
I meant stupid and worthless.

Yes, I mean I was thinking of that day
when sorrow settled down like a sunset
and broke the heart of the world
and you first came to realize:
"Jesus Hates You."

That I can take.
The mistake in all this is
that I hate me too.
All of us do.
Hate ourselves, that is.
That's why I don't own a gun.
I think shooting people would be too fun.
"Suck on this!"  Bam, bam, bam.
Ah, yes, how easy being right could be.

I don't blame Jesus for hating me.
I hate me too.  I hate me
for not having the guts to be
as mean as I wish I could be.
But Jesus, he was God he should have known
how to build a Kalashnikov and mow down all those
sword and spear, short-skirted soldiers of Rome --
(did they wear underwear, I wonder? -- bet not).
Even two thousand or so years later
the Italians, the later-day Romans,
the titular Jesusians
knew how to be monstrous
shooting down spear-armed Ethiopians
from their airplanes and bombing them with poison gas.
Hey!  what's a little phosgene among friends?
Jesus shouldn't have to learn from the Italians:
Just do whacha gotta do, goddamnit, and don't look back.

I hate Jesus, because I know he
hates me.
And with good reason.

Mike Geary