[lit-ideas] Re: Summer time in the city, back of my neck's gettin' dirty and gritty

  • From: "Paul Stone" <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:32:35 -0400

> Mike asked:Btw, does anyone have any idea what Donal's btw in his last
> post was all about???  I would ask him, but I'm afraid he might answer and
> my life is complicated enough as it is and it's just too damn hot to try to
> make sense of anything.

You mean THIS one?

tw: do many 'get' the allusion in the thread title? Too few perhaps (it's a
multiple allusion actually - the kind Tony Wilson seemed to like - taking in

Neil Young's 'Rust Never Sleeps' which was cited in Kurt Cobain's
'I'm-joining-that-stupid-mom' last note, who was deeply influenced by Joy
Division and the self-hanging Ian Curtis, which band was arguably brought to

light through Wilson's endeavours (and taste)....And so it
goes............Not btw parading through allusion my knowledge (as of, say,
Heidegger) so much as paying tribute and also curious what knowledge there
is
on the list of what is perceived by some as important in contemporary
culture, which includes punk - as Neil Young recognised in 'Rust Never
Sleeps'. Basta.

Here's an attempt to explain it:

Tony Wilson, one of the driving forces behind Punk Rock died on August 10th.
(hence the first part of the subject heading)
Then, he threw in a line from Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps" you know "my
my hey hey rock and roll is here to stay" etc. "The king is dead but he's
not FORGOTTEN/this is a story 'bout Johnny Rotten" but inverted it.
Kurt Cobain's Suicide note ended with a quote from Young's same song "it's
better to burn out than fade away"
Also... Joy Division (a band that Wilson was also fond of)'s  Ian Curtis
offed himself too.

fueling Donal's curiosity,

A bit,
paul