[lit-ideas] Stylistics ('The style is the man')

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:59:49 EDT

Donal McEvoy was making some comments on Wittgenstein's 'style'
(presentational style, etc).
Some refs. below from the OED (for your consideration) re: 'style' as being
idiosyncratic, and the story of a (quasi-sexist) quote -- the style is the man.
If so, what's stylistics?

Cheers,

JL

----

From the OED

'style' (among other things):

"The manner of expression characteristic of a particular writer (hence of an
orator), or of a literary group or period; a writer's mode of expression
considered in regard to clearness, effectiveness, beauty, and the like."

1330 R. BRUNNE Chron. Wace (Rolls) 16705 (Petyt MS.) Pers of Langtoft..On
frankis stile is storie wrote. c1386 CHAUCER Clerk's T. 1092 Therfore petrak
writeth This storie, which with heigh stile he enditeth. 1412-20 LYDG. Chron.
Troy
I. 3090 After e maner of my rude stile. c1440 Promp. Parv. 475/2 Style, forme
of indytynge, or spekynge or wrytynge, stilus. 1517 H. WATSON Ship of Fools
Argt. Aj, In facyle sentence and famylyer style. a1548 HALL Chron., Edw. IV.
227 A letter of diffiance, bothe for the stile & the pennyng excellently
endited. 1609 B. JONSON Epicne II. ii, So shee may censure Poets, and Authors,
and
stiles, and compare 'hem. 1721 SWIFT Let. Yng. Gentl. Holy Orders Wks. 1898
III.
201 Proper words in proper places, make the true definition of a style. 1728
LAW Serious C. vii. (1732) 96 She will sometimes read a book of Piety..if it
is much commended for stile and language. a1817 T. DWIGHT Trav. (1821) I. 510
The Boston style is a phrase, proverbially used..to denote a florid, pompous
manner of writing. 1845 PATTISON Ess. (1889) I. 13 St. Gregory of Tours has no
style, barely grammar. 1870 RUSKIN Lect. Art iii. 68 No man is worth reading to
form your style, who does not mean what he says. 1889 SWINBURNE Stud. B.
Jonson 174 The incomparable style of Mr. Ruskin.

'the style is the man'
[1624 R. BURTON Anat. Melancholy (ed. 2) 7 It is most true, stylus virum
arguit, our stile bewrayes vs.

1753 G. BUFFON Histoire Naturelle VII. p. xvii, Le style est l'homme même.]

1901 G. B. SHAW Caesar & Cleopatra 208 Going to Caesar's books, and
concluding that the style is the man.

1901 A. WHYTE Bible Characters: Stephen to Timothy civ. 72

If the style is the man in Holy Scripture also,..we feel a very great liking
for Luke.

1942 H. F. HEARD Reply Paid (1943) ix. 141 Usually I don't like to have my
style modified. â??The style is the man.â??

1978 Language LIV. 284 In describing Achilles' speech, we have also been
describing his character, since â??style is the manâ??.