[lit-ideas] Re: Stupid Question Regarding Presidents

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:56:06 EST

I'm reading about the massive voter turnout on CNN and read this:

<<Gans put the total turnout at nearly 120 million people. That  represents
just under 60 percent of eligible voters -- the highest percentage  turnout
since 1968, Gans said._(Voters turn out to beat the rush)_
(http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/02/voter.vignettes.ap/index.html)
One county clerk in Illinois spoke for poll workers across the country on
Election Day when he summed up the turnout with one word:  "Gangbusters.">>
It seems to me the country has pretty profound problems if it wants to
function as a democracy but when only slightly over half of registered voters
show
up, it is considered a massive turnout.  If anything at all comes  out of
this I hope it's a huge move to overhaul the election system, from the
Electoral
College on downw to uniform voting methods nation-wide.
I'm amazed at how impassioned children are about this.  My  middle-schooler
reported that when the teacher put NBC's coverage of the  election on this
afternoon, playing Kerry's concession speech, half of the class  was actually
crying.  My daughter admitted to being one of them.
Julie Krueger