[lit-ideas] Re: Study Shows U.S. Election Coverage Harder on Bush

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 01:20:24 EDT

Hi,
The study was interesting.  For all that it was 'negative' towards  Bush, it
was not negative towards the Iraqi War.  Curious, I think.   Wonder what that
was all about?

I am surprised that they did not analyze radio talk shows...for although
they are not strictly 'news', in this part of the country, that is where most
of
the people get their news (and slanted news coverage...)

I also wonder which newspapers that they DID cover--for that would make a
difference.  Were they primarily in the "Blue" states--in which case they  knew
the bias of their readers and were just doing the "new" "Give 'em what they
want" [news that 'fits'] versus the 'give 'em what they need' [news that hits
three points of view with one point of view favored each day, thus offending
two  groups each day--but overall, balance occurs...though this is a bit
old-fashioned of a point of view...]

Would be interesting to look at the newpaper coverage in the Red  States--and
to compare that even within the state for the coverage of the
rural/urban/suburban areas--who are all different points of view.  I know  that
the KC Star
even before the election sent out a query looking for more  conservative
columnists/writers.  So, they are addressing the 'give 'em  what they want'
concept
here, anyway.

The following part of the story that I selected out of it would argue
towards the theory we have all heard here (particularly from our token Silicon
Valley resident) that the traditional news coverage is not longer relevant in
that it is not where most people get their news.

(Here it is not even the Internet--it's AM talk radio)

But, it was also intriguing to note that it is all still marketing--not new
content, just new ways to provide/spin it...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri
still thinking of the persecution of those who are not in the Bush  Camp...if
you are in the midst of a Red State...for it exists and the Bush  Bullies are
alive and still well in my world...You have to be careful in your  job, your
school, almost anything...It's kind of fascinating if you are able to  step
back and dance on the tightrope...though playing and catering to that tune
recently made me think of the full wording of the Declaration of  Independence.

Grounded with the earth today,
Marlena in Missouri
_cabrian@xxxxxxxxxx (mailto:cabrian@xxxxxxxxx)  writes:
The  study noted a huge rise in audiences for Internet news,
particularly  for bloggers whose readers jumped by 58 percent in six
months to 32  million people.

Despite the growing importance of the Web, the report  said investment
was not keeping pace and some 62 percent of Internet  professionals
reported cutbacks in the newsroom in the last three  years, even more
than the 37 percent of print, radio and TV  journalists who cited
cutbacks in their newsrooms.

"For all  that the number of outlets has grown, the number of people
engaged  in collecting original information has not," the report said,
noting  that much of the investment was directed at repackaging and
presenting information rather than gathering news.