[lit-ideas] Re: Speranza, "Lasciate Ogni Speranza Voi Ch'e Entrate"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 22:21:58 EST

In a message dated 1/24/2010 10:10:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jwager@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Dante's  main insight, I think, is that "hell" is not a punishment. It's
NOT a jail.  The ONLY thing keeping someone there is their lack of hope; they
have some  serious flaw and no hope of changing. So no "gate" is needed; you
keep  yourself in the hell of your own making. (This comes, I think, from
Aquinas'  view of the lack of reality of evil, which is an absence of
something that  ought to be there and is not.

====

Good. So we need to KNOW what word he used for "gate".

Portale?

It's "porta celeste" for heaven-gate. So it should be "porta infernale" for
 the other end, right? JLS