[lit-ideas] Re: Speaking of ...

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:52:15 -0500

>>Even if the grocery stores around here
offered delivery service, which they don't, it's still rather isolating without a car.

For me, it's the opposite. Driving is isolating. You're stuck in a metal box -- a "trainer coffin" if you will -- and the whole point of that box is to get out of it. I mean, people do lethal things in attempts to shave seconds from their time in the metal box.

You have to watch the road and so you miss the landscape. You can't meet people by chance while you are driving. You also can't subvert the "point A to point B" behavior by suddenly stopping.

Of course, it's comfortable to preach when one doesn't have a car. When one owns a car, and someone suggests walking to the store ... well that suggestion is not usually going to succeed. It's part of the addictive nature of easy solutions -- it's easy, so it doesn't matter if it is inferior or degrading. Like Wal-Mart.