[lit-ideas] Re: Speak Upon the Square

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 14:23:24 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 7/2/10, David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm a
> little puzzled by that "upon the square."  Does it mean
> "without elaboration" or does it mean "as you would in a
> public place"?

Haven't checked anything but I think it may mean (and may be a masonic
reference?) speak openly and honestly. Dylan uses the line "live my life on the
square" in this seeming sense _TOOM_. It means living on the straight and
narrow, as it were; living without an angle or subterfuge or some hidden
agenda. Lamb may then be referring to speaking this way.

Donal
Little Guessing