[lit-ideas] Re: Son of the Soil (The Forgotten Kemble Butler)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:49:21 EDT

Hard to believe, but I must (believe  J. Evans) that the words of this Kemble
woman below come from the lips of an  abolitionist. But then it's Geary who
knows everything about Slavery Studies.

Cheers,

JL

Fanny Kemble wrote:

      "The children of the slave  owners, brought among
        the slaves acquire  thei Negro mode of
        talking --  slavish speech surely it is.

       "This ignoble trick of
        pronunciation"

      "I SHALL  NOT ALLOW THIS TO BECOME
A HABIT [with  my own]. This is the way
       [the local  whites] acquire the
       thick and inelegant  pronunciation which distinguishes
       their utterances and I  have no
       desire that my [own]  should adorn [their] mother tongue
       with either  PECULIARITY."

J. L.  Speranza, Esq.

Town:

Calle Arenales 2021, Piso 5, St. 8,