[lit-ideas] Re: Solitary Tunicates

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:29:23 -0800

On Jan 19, 2012, at 7:17 PM, John McCreery wrote:
> There I mentioned Romer's opening sentence, still to me one of the most
> beautiful I've ever read, "Simplest are the solitary tunicates." The solitary
> tunicates are the sacs from which the vertebrate story is drawn.

I perceive the charm here.  The words remind me of one of my favorite
sentences, to be found in the eleventh Britannica's essay on sheep,
"Practically they [sheep] form a group impossible of definition, as they pass
imperceptibly into the goats."

Trot that one out next time someone says you must separate the sheep from the
goats.

David Ritchie,
anticipating pizza in
Portland, Oregon