[lit-ideas] Re: So GOP stands for?

  • From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 22:23:25 +0000

thanks, Ursula.  I didn't imagine it was an original thought, I was just
whingeing.

Just like recognising one's own ideas are rarily original, I'm reminded
that almost no matter the opinion one expresses, there will be a counter
opinion.  The auld half empty/half full, for example.

Under these guidelines it always amazes me to come across someone
without confidence in themselves, in their ideas.  Inevitably, no matter
how half-cocked or ridiculous one's idea is, one will find others who
believe in the same thing.  I mean think about the sickest thing you can
think of and imagine that there are probably millions before you who not
only thought it, but did it.

What we're all left with is dealing with our own unoriginality, victims
of time.

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:26:23 -0500, "Ursula Stange" <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
said:
> Socrates:
> &#8220;&#8230;justice is to perform one&#8217;s own task, and not to meddle
> with that of
> others.&#8221; In _The Republic_
>
> John Stuart Mill:
> Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems
> good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the
> rest.
>
> The only freedom which deserves the name, is that of pursuing our own
> good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of
> theirs.
> _On Liberty_ (1859)
>

> Steve Chilson wrote:
>
> >I often wish people would just leave other people alone,
> >get on with their bloody lives personally and leave each to their own
> >moral dilemmas and how to resolve them.  But that wouldn't be very
> >realistic, would it then?

  Steve Chilson
  stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx