[lit-ideas] Snow-White and the Seven Dwarfs (Is: Sexual Perversions in Myth)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:34:23 EST

"I  will say that it is true
       that  snow is white because
       snow  _is_ white"
                            Tarski.

R. Paul writes in reply to D.  McEvoy:

"Just as Tarski's notion that 'P' is true,  iff P, leaves it to the
truth-seeker to use his or her own favorite way of determining whether P, so S
leaves
it open as to how 'p' is  established."

Although Polish (and Polish-writing) Alfred Tarski was the  idol of the
German-speaking _Wiener Kriese_. And it is in German that his  'Semantic
Conception
of Truth' is best known.

One of his examples, and this to please Walter O. who  speaks German, was:

"Schnee ist Weiss"

----

Nobody even _tried_ to refute him. I had to re-read my  Sextus Empiricus
(Loeb) to find Tarski's T-predicate was  _wrong_:

Sextus writes:

"Anaxagoras countered  the [ultimately Tarskian] notion
that snow is white with the argument,

    'Snow is frozen  water,
     and water is  black;
     therefore snow  also is black"

[Anaxagoras to leuken eina ten khiona  antetithei hoti he khion hudor esti
pepegos, to de hudor esti melan, kai he  khion ara melaina estin.]

"Anaxagoras countered the notion"
Anaxagoras atetithei

"that snow is white"
khiona eina  leuken

with the argument,
hoti

'Snow is frozen  water,
khion esti pepegos hudor

and water is black;
de to hudor esti melan

therefore snow also is black"
ara he khion kai estin  melaina"

[Anaxagoras to leuken eina ten khiona  antetithei hoti he khion hudor esti
pepegos, to de hudor esti melan, kai he  khion ara melaina estin.]

products.