[lit-ideas] Re: Smack (was flu vaccine)

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:37:02 -0800

Paul STone wrote:
>It's a pity that diabetics can't get free needles too.

ck: They can if they're on Medicaid. I should have qualified my rant by
stating that methadone programs in the US are tied to income, with sliding
fees the rule. I'm not sure if private physicians are allowed to adminster
methadone to their own patients. People with diabetes aren't prohibited from
obtaining insulin or needles from private physicians, and employment
discrimination, by the govt and large companies, is prohibited under the
Americans wtih Disabilities Act. Not so for users or former users of
controlled and illegal substances.
Carol K.