[lit-ideas] Re: Size 9B

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 17:41:35 -0700

On Oct 31, 2013, at 11:42 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

> Awwww heck, I thought it was going to be a joke about men's suits.  One of
> which I don't have and have had only one in my life some 50 years ago.  Do
> men still wear those things?  I haven't paid much attention to fashion of
> late.

Our newspaper says that tweed is back in fashion for men.  Also the color
burgundy.  This is fine with me as I have a collection of thrift store suits
and jackets.

When I was in Milan earlier this year I took photos of the shop windows.  The
suits they were trying to sell to young folk were a couple of inches short in
sleeve and trouser.  The general impression was that you'd spilled something
and couldn't be bothered with dry cleaning, so into the washing machine that
suit went, on "hot."

Thus to become Geary the Italiano-Groovy, should you so aspire, you'd not only
have to pony up for a tweedy, professory look, you'd also have to shrink the
item.  Or, like me, you could just settle for burgundy socks, one pair of which
was all I bought in Milan, from a shop that sold them from cardboard boxes.
The socks were individually sized.  None of your "fits sizes 6-16" rubbish.
Quite charming.

David Ritchie,
remembering the punchline (but not the joke) "what fits me, fits William," in
Portland,