[lit-ideas] Re: Simone Weil

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:42:40 -0700

Le 7 ao=FBt 04, =E0 07:11, Erin Holder a =E9crit :

>> Perhaps, when you took your existentialism class, you were
>>
>> still immature.
>

> That could very well be.  Yes, indeed, that could very well be.  The=20=

> thing is
> though, that I took that class last semester and it finished at the=20
> beginning
> of May.  So let's see, we've got May, June, July, A - well, no, it's=20=

> only the
> beginning of August, so August doesn't count.  I doubt much has=20
> changed since
> May (wry grin), 'maturity' wise.  Had I known maturity was a=20
> prerequisite for
> understanding Weil, I probably wouldn't have bothered with her to=20
> begin with.
> But you're right.  It would be silly not to take another stab at her. =20=

> Maybe
> later.  Much later.  Way later.  Far, far and away down the road.  I'm=20=

> just
> getting into this Square business.  It's cute, this square.  I like =
it.

M.C. It is kind of cute, but like Robert Paul I doubt it has anything=20
to do with Weil. Far from drawing a distinction between "opposites" and=20=

"contradictories", Aristotle (Categories 10, 11b15 ff.)  considers=20
contraries or contradictories to be one of four sub-classes of the=20
class "opposites", the others being relatives, privation vs.=20
possession, and affirmation and negation. Again like R. Paul, I think=20
Weil is just using terminology loosely to allude to Nicolas of Cusa's=20
idea of the *coincidentia oppositorum*.

        Best, Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)