[lit-ideas] Re: Seriously/SLAM

  • From: John Wager <jwager@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 16:38:51 -0500

David Ritchie wrote:
. . .historical monograph titled 'SLAM, the influence of S.L.A. Marshall on the United States Army,' strongly defends Marshall's observations." There's no explanation of "SLAM."

He's so famous that he gets his own acronym: S-L-A-Marshall, or SLAM.

Past these obstacles, I find the first conclusion clear--armies and other forces who are training with guns have given up shooting at bulls-eye targets because these do not help humans overcome their reluctance to fire at other humans. From Vietnam onwards studies show much higher firing rates. These, the author immediately assumes, come as a result of this difference of training.

This is at least partly true. I recall firing at bulls-eye targets in ROTC target practice in college, but as a draftee we shot at silhouette targets, trying to knock them down. At first this was on a really long range rifle range, with M-14 rifles (with a heavy cartridge like the M-1 of WWII days), but in advanced infantry training, when we got M-16 rifles, we were taught to shoot from the hip, aiming at what we were looking at without bringing the rifle up to our eye. We were also taught to fire on automatic in 2-4 round bursts, but most guys fired more rounds than that. (Rifles in WWII were semi-automatic; one pull of trigger fired one round. The M-16 is full auto or semi-auto; you can empty a 16 round magazine with one trigger pull on full auto.) Just by itself, the M-16 on automatic would account for a far higher number of rounds fired than anything else.

It seems to me that counting bullets is no good way of discovering who is firing *at* the enemy. If there was a change of doctrine--laying down a field of fire, rather than picking individual targets--you could easily account for increased expenditure of ammunition without needing any causative psychological change in the explanation.

In WWII, the true machine guns were tasked with laying down fields of fire. 30 caliber machine guns would fire belts of ammo along fixed lines prepared in advance. This continued with the M-60 machine gun (and I'm guessing the SAW later as well, but only guessing). M-16 gunners were not taught to lay down this kind of fire, but we were taught to achieve "fire superiority" by sending more bullets in the general direction of the enemy than the enemy was sending in our direction, so this probably also accounted in part for the more recent higher rates of fire.

I remember lots of times in Vietnam when our whole platoon was firing like crazy, just because someone said that it sounded to them like we had gotten fired on from the left. So we all aimed "left" and opened up on full auto, going through 3-4 magazines, just because we wanted whoever fired at us to keep their heads down and quit firing. Nobody really expected to hit anybody; it was just our way of saying "please stop."

Then we leap to how the media are changing people all over the world, causing youth to suffer from "Violence Immune Deficiency." It's violence on television and in video games that is causing an increased willingness to kill. Now I'm started I'll have to read further, but I wonder if I've wasted $15.99--yes that's the cost of the paperback.

I think I read the book a couple of years ago. It did seem a bit simplistic, but I don't remember exact details. Certainly Vietnam was a very different war than Iraq, in part because of the lack of a draft and in part because of computers and video games and technology in general.

Just one other quick comment on the difference: I had a camera with me in Vietnam, and my assumption (which generally proved true) was that if everybody knew crazy sergeant Wager was taking photos of everything, they would be a little bit more careful about what they did. I was absolutely flabbergasted by the photos of prisoner abuses in Iraq; I realized that the whole point of photography must have changed 180 degrees. Now it seems the point is to document how bad you are, how much of a "jackass" (recent TV show) you are.